Emergency! My tooth or filling has broken off or fallen out suddenly!
Toothache or sensitivity from a broken tooth or lost filling can require urgent dentist attention
You may be eating something soft one day, or brushing your teeth, and find a filling or tooth break off!
Unfortunately, nothing lasts forever. (Yes, not even this Victoria lockdown will last forever, even though it feels like it!)
Your teeth (and fillings, caps, crowns, veneers etc) are something that gets a huge workout everyday. Every mouthful of food you chew, involves crunching, biting, chewing and grinding on your teeth.
Tooth enamel is one of the hardest substances naturally formed in the human body, but still wears down with time.
Other factors that can weaken teeth include:
- Abnormal clenching or grinding. Often stress related, but we often see young kids grinding their teeth too.
- Trauma – sports injuries, falls, accidents all can severly damage teeth. Or at least weaken them.
- Acid damage – from fizzy drinks (which usually have carbonic acid as the source of the bubbles), acidic/sweetened drinks. In addition, stomach acid reflux regurgitation ca severely erode tooth enamel.
- Poor hygiene – if you’re not brushing and flossing away food and snacks, the bacteria in your mouth will eat the remaining food, then spit out acid as a byproduct.
- Smoking – causes dehydration of the tooth enamel, making it more likely to stain and become brittle, then fracture
All these problems also weaken fillings.
My silver black filling is OK, but the tooth has broken!
In particular, the older amalgam fillings don’t “bond” to your tooth – it’s just a lump of metal, sitting in a hole in your tooth. We often see amalgam fillings looking OK, but a big corner or chunk of tooth breaking off immediately next to the silver amalgam filling.
How do I fix this problem?
Emergency Dentist near me in Niddrie
If you have a dental emergency like a broken tooth or filling, and you live in the Western areas of Melbourne, Verdant Dental at 1/1 326 Keilor Road Niddrie VIC 3042 are available to help you. So if you need a dentist near Niddrie, Airport West, Strathmore, Essendon, Essendon West, Strathmore Heights, Keilor East, Tullamarine, Avondale Heights, Aberfeldie, Moonee Ponds, give us a call on 9379 3736 or SMS us 0434 881 479!
Emergency dental clinic near me in Croydon South
Elation Dental at 111 Bayswater Road, Croyudon South VIC 3136 can help you for Melbourne East dental emergencies. We’re a dentist near you in Croydon South, Ringwood, Ringwood East, Heathmont, Bayswater North, Kilsyth South and Mooroolbark! For urgent emergency dentist appointments call us 9725 2029 or SMS 0402 968 183.